background

Monday, January 31, 2011

Design Wall Monday

I've decided to try to make a t-shirt quilt. (If all goes well, I may try to make some extra money. I'm thinking the local parents may want graduations gifts.) 
 

It is definitely trial and error.  So far so good. The sashing is just laid out on top. Hopefully, after work today, I'll get the top sewn together.

Have you ever hung onto something forever and ever and then threw it away and then you needed it. Well, Larry had two drawers full of old t-shirts. A few were purchased, many were freebies from giving blood, volunteering at events, etc. Over the past year, he has been weeding them out.

Out of the goodness of his heart, he told me that I could have any of the t-shirts in his bottom drawer--just make sure I keep him 4 or 5 to wear while working out in the yard. I went to his drawer to pick some out and, lo and behold, there were only 4 or 5 t-shirts in the drawer. I guess he really weeded them out! lol He doesn't have a clue where they are.

So, I found 3 in my drawer that were pretty old and I didn't wear anymore. I added extra blocks to make a lap size quilt so if I don't need it for a sample quilt, it will still be of use to us.

Now, if I decide to quilt for others, I'm going to have to hit the local "Helping Hands" to get some t-shirts to make a full sample with all t-shirt blocks. I think I can get shirts for 25 or 50 cents. So that won't be too bad. If not, I'll hit garage sales. 

Don't forget to swing by Judy L's for Design Wall Monday.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting.

11 comments:

  1. It looks great Vivian! Are you going to get a longarm and quilt for others, or stick to doing it on your sewing machine? Careful of your back! I wish you the best either way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title picture is so pretty, and the quilt looks great. I love the your frugal ideas to make your samples. I want to start hunting for shirts at the thrift shop to make a scrappy shirtings quilt like quiltville.com does

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only made a couple of tshirt quilts but it was fun...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never done t-shirt quilts - are you using some kind of stabilizer on the backs?
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you enjoy this process! The tshirt quilt looks great. I need to try it because I have been asked to do one in the future. I should try it using my own stuff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. I think there is a large market for t-shirt quilts among graduating seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tee-shirt quilts are on my list of "I want to try" quilting projects. My daughter has a host of college tee's that would be fun to work with. So far, yours looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be a miracle if my husband let go of some Tshirts! He has concert and rock band Tshirts he treasures. Your sample looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You do such beautiful handiwork. I could never quilt. I can't do the perfect straight lines.
    I just awarded you the "Stylish Blogger Award" because of your creativity. Stop by my blog to pick it up if you like.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails