background

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another Lesson Learned!

I often too often say that I learn something with each quilt I make. Well, with this one, I thought I totally ruined it.


What did I do, you ask? Well, normally, I do not quilt this densely. The dense quilting is what my learning experience lead to.

First,  I outlined the pumpkins and then stitched curved lines from the top to the bottom to make them look like real pumpkins. Then not being able to decide what to do in the green, I decided to do pebbles. Yes, that is a very dense filler stitch but I decided to try it. So, I finished it, washed it, and dried it and almost got sick. The pumpkins were so puffy that the whole quilt was distorted.

Now, what do I do? The only solution I thought of was to fill in the pumpkins with a dense stitch also. So, that is what I did. Rewashed it and then laid it out on the floor to block. Not my normal quilting style, but I saved the wall hanging.

And another lesson learned.

I'll be out of town Wednesday and Thursday. I'm going to be in Northwest Arkansas at a Reading Workshop. I'll actually hope to get some extra rest since I won't have my quilts calling my name each night. lol  That's really not why I don't sleep much. Really, I think sleeping is a waste of time and I am afraid I'm going to miss something. That's why I go to bed late each night. I can't blame it on my quilting.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting!

9 comments:

  1. looks great Vivian. What are you going to work on next? Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the wall hanging turned out good in the end I think! When you have been up to NW Arkansas have you ever checked out the Rabbits Lair in Rogers? If you have or do so when you are there this week let me know if it is worth a visit.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your learning/lesson helps me, Vivian. I don't know much about longarm/machine quilting. I'm in a LONG learning stage so this was a great tip for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out rather nice in the end! Maybe the rest of us will remember your experience and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian I just popped over by bloggers ,I don't see the pumkins as puffy , I also stay up late and early to rise ,I get up at 5:30 so I can cut my quilt pieces , so during the evening I can sew, sleeping is a waste of time so many things to do, happy quilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for visiting my blog! great to meet you in blogland! ive loved looking around your blog and see that you FNSI too :) many beautiful quilts on show
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great to me, I really like the way this turned out Vivian!
    Have fun at the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your quilt is lovely Vivian. nice to 'see' you again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails