background

Friday, March 25, 2011

"Tree Time" is now a flimsy!!!!!!!!

My goal for yesterday was to get the "Tree Time" blocks sewn together into rows and get all 7 borders attached also. But, it didn't happen. I ran out of juice at 9:30 last night.

It took me several hours to get all of the borders cut out. Judy L. says she often makes her borders first then does the inside of the quilt  So I was going to try this method. I thought, "Oh, it will be so nice to get the inside blocks sewn together and already have the borders stitched and ready to sew on."

Doesn't that sound great!

But somehow I got so confused I said,  "forget it" and just sewed the blocks together and then sewed the borders on . . . border by border. I think it was the fact that one of the borders had a corner square insert.

So this morning I got up and had my coffee while watching the news. I have to know what is going on in the world. lol  Then I headed straight to the sewing room to finish adding the last 4 borders. I really thought this would only take a couple of hours. NO!!!!!

I sewed for a few hours and then went outside to plant some annuals. I came back in and made myself sit down and finish the borders. All was well until I went to pin baste it this evening.

My pieced border is wonky. Yep, it shows in the picture. 


I took it to the ironing board to try CJ's method of steaming the fabric to see if it will shrink. It actually worked on the couple I tried it on. So tomorrow morning I'm going to steam, steam, steam and hope the white fabric shrinks enough so I can "quilt it all out".

Do you ever find that your favorite quilts are the most difficult. I remember a certain part of a block on the "Orange Crush" quilt giving me problems. I thought I would never get finish those half four patch units in step 2. When it was all over, it was worth the effort. The "Orange Crush" is still one of my favorite quilts.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Vivian, it will be worth every minute you spend on it. It is lovely. And it is amazing how much stuff "quilts out"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never worry about wonky. Look at Gees Bend quilts, so creative and a bit wonky at times.
    You aren't showing it at Paducah are you? I'm sure anyone would love it...wonky and all as you say.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails