Friday, July 30, 2010

Unexpected Stay in Little Rock

Well, I've spent part of the last two days here. This place is huge--to a small town girl.

I had a scheduled appointment for breathing problems (that started 10 years ago) that just keep getting worse. We've checked for asthma, sinus problems, and allergies and while I do have sinus problems and allergies I still did not think that was the root of my problems. I went to my local primary care physician in May and told him that I've had enough and want to get to the bottom of this. So he referred my to the UA Med Center in Little Rock. (The top hospital in Arkansas.) I called in May and was not able to get in until July 29.

I went in Thursday morning and had Pulmonary Function Test (breathing test). Then I went to meet the specialist at 1 p.m. He was at a loss and decided we needed to do a Bronchoscopy (which is what my primary care physician also suggested to me). Well, surprisingly he said he could do it Friday morning or we would have to wait over two weeks.

So we stayed in Little Rock overnight and I had the Bronchoscopy test today. They run a light scope through the nose and down the trachea and look at everything for obstructions. The plan was to check and if anything was found that was immediately easily fixable would be fixed and/or if they found something that needed biopsied they would do that at the same time. I was not put under but was numbed and heavily sedated.

They did find some obstruction and actually showed it to me. All I remember is them telling me to look. They did not do a biopsy so I do not believe it is anything bad. It looks to be a build up of scar tissue. The reason they did not do anything today is that it is close to my voice box so the surgeon is going to study the pictures and consult with the ear, nose, and throat doctors there at UAMS. They will then decide who will do the surgery. They are going to call me in a couple of days to schedule surgery in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully before school starts.

I was very impressed with the doctor and the nurses who cared for me. Very professional but with a sense of humor. 

I am just so thrilled they found something and it can be fixed and I will be able to breath again without problems. I hope I will even be able to jog for a mile. That is my goal.

The nurses said I had to rest today -- no heavy lifting, no driving. So . . . Larry said I couldn't drive my sewing machine either.  Boy, sitting around makes you tired.

I plan to spend most of the weekend in the sewing room though. A nice break before going back to school on Monday.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting!


  1. Wow that's wonderful news Vivian! I know it seems weird to be excited that they found a problem, but I totally understand... what's worse than knowing something is wrong and no one can find it?

  2. Hey Vivian! I'm really pleased they were able to pinpoint a problem and there's a relatively easy fix to it. Hope you're on the mend soon! Enjoy your sewing weekend -- and the first day of school! :)

  3. So please to hear that you have found a team of doctors who are taking care of your problem. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix and you'll be sewing & doing all soon.

  4. always best to find the problem and get it fixed - so much better than not knowing. Hope it can be taken care of easily and before school starts.



Related Posts with Thumbnails