background

Monday, July 9, 2012

The first thing

I heard on the news this morning was how there would be showers all over the state today. Now yesterday, there were scattered showers in our area. Where? Not here.

So I looked outside and sure enough the sky was gray and the clouds look to be filled with rain. So I was waiting patiently.


Then I looked out again a little later and noticed that the concrete was wet. So I thought, "Why am I sitting in here when I could be on the patio enjoying the drizzle."

Now a few days ago, we got about three minutes of huge raindrops and that was it. But I noticed that the air outside did not smell good. It actually smelt like chicken houses. The nearest ones are probably a mile away and we never smell them. I have mentioned this before to people and they look at me like I am crazy. My theory is that as water evaporates, dust and particles go with it. So when it rains those dust and particles come down with the rain.

I actually always thought this was true until my science teacher friends looked at me like I was crazy and dropped the subject.

So my question for you science buffs out there. (I am too lazy to look it up.)  Why do we smell certain smells when it rains?

The drizzle has stopped ,unfortunately, but I have hopes that a good steady rain will begin sometime during the day. It is so dry here. Think I'll sit here a while longer and wait. Although I do not smell the fresh rain smell that comes with a good downpour. But there's always hope.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I'd be interested to hear the explanation, too. I suspect that the extra water in the air makes it heavy or dense, a blanket, if you will, which traps the odors that would otherwise waft up, up and away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails