background

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Almost a Finish

Every once in awhile I think back to my first job as a teen. Actually, I forget I worked there--not sure how but many times I think as my job at the local burger drive-in as my first job--but it wasn't. My first job was as a seamstress in a ladies garment factory. We made women's lingerie. Everything we did had to be fast and accurate. Or . . . we had repairs. (Did NOT want them!)

Now, I already knew how to sew when I started there. I was making my own clothes beginning in upper grade school.  Of course, making clothing is all about seams that lay flat and custom fitting. 

I never thought of that first job as having an impact on my sewing until last night. That job was all about speed. It was supposed to be about accuracy also, but speed was the main driving force because we were paid by the piece. So, I was conditioned to sew FAST.

Now, what does that have to do with my quilting techniques. Well, I still sew fast. I think my machine has only one speed. (It really doesn't).

As I was quilting on the poinsettia quilt last night, I decided to listen to Wendy Sheppard and slow down. And wow, I had some great stitches. And . . . I don't have a stitch regulator. 




Now, I know the best speed for me to free motion quilt, but the challenge will be sticking to it.

I'm off for the holidays. I plan to put the binding on the Poinsettia Quilt today and then I'll reveal the whole quilt.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting.

1 comment:

  1. looks like you will have this quilt out for Christmas season before you know it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails