background

Monday, June 28, 2010

What do you do In the sewing room if you are not sewing?

Well, I did make it to my sewing room several times today. But, no sewing.

 I have been looking at pictures of sewing rooms to get an idea of what I want to do with mine. I came across a sewing table that was made from bookshelves. So, a couple of months ago (time flies), I purchased a bunch of inexpensive black bookshelves from Walmart. After placing the shelves in a rectangle, I added a piece of oak plywood that was left from another project . (I do believe that my husband kind of miscalculated on the lumber needed making my son a computer desk.)

It stayed like that since then--until today. And this is what happened today.


After I changed the layout of where my machines needed to be, Larry cut holes to put my machines in. (Ignore the clutter by my design wall, things are everywhere.) This is probably the only time you will see it this neat. I was going to put the machines at opposite ends and sides, but realized that two cutting mats will fit across the width of the table and I can have a big cutting surface. So, I moved the machine I use for quilting more towards the center.


This is a side view of the set up. I already need to tidy up the shelves. I can't wait until I have a place and/or container for everything. I'm not there yet. I also plan to stain the plywood and put a couple coats of varnish. I'm going to wait until I won't be sewing for a few days.

On the shelf under the table, you can see my Christmas fabrics. I have another shelf with about this much fabric and a couple of shoe boxes of fat quarters and that is my stash. That is why I am so envious of all of you that have shelves and shelves of fabric. Maybe one day.


This is my embroidery machine. I decided to have him set it in even so I can use it for piecing and quilting also. Notice that I had him cut an extra opening in the back so that my embroidery carriage can move freely so I don't have to lift it back up on the table. Then when I sew or quilt on the machine, I can cover the extra hole with my 12 1/2 inch square ruler to keep my sewing from falling through. .


Most of the time I use this machine for actual quilting. It has a 9-inch throat which makes a big difference on big quilts. It also just sews straight stitches. Every once in awhile, I'll be sewing on it and need to make a zigzag stitch. I'll get ready to change the stitches and realize that I need to change machines.

I still have lots to do in here before it can be transformed into my "studio". Remember this post? I really wanted white shelves so my studio could be teal and white with pink accents. But, I couldn't find enough white shelves. So now it will be teal and black, with white and pink accents.

It will all take time, but I will post pictures as I go and especially when it is finished.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting.

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the bookshelves as supports for the sewing table. Hope all the rearranging helps you get out of your sewing slump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bookshelves are a great idea. Your sewing room is so nice, I have a corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is all such a good idea. I like how your hubby cut out the pieces for the sewing machines to drop in level with the plywood. He just put brackets of some kind there to hold the piece of cut wood that is cut out? to hold the sewing machines in place? Interesting! One day maybe I will have a change too - but far off. You have a lot of room to play now and the table is plenty big enough to hold your quilts up when you are quilting.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Vivian! Please let us know if the plywood has any bounce to it when sewing at high speeds... I would love a setup like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be sew wonderful...excuse the pun.

    Looks like you're well on your way to have your ideas become reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great sewing space you have, Vivian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative solution. I'd love a space that size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice work space! Will you put any kind of finish on the table or is it smooth enough as it is to not rough up your fabric?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails