background

Friday, June 27, 2014

On the homefront . . .

I tried gardening in a small raised bed two summers and can't get anything to grow. We live on top of a ridge with layers and layers of rock underneath a very thin layer of soil.  Even when we added bags and bags of soil, do luck

I have a little flowerbed spot right outside my kitchen door that I decided to plant a few items. Two tomato plants, 2 pepper plants, and basil.

I added some miracle grow to the soil and am trying my luck. This tomato plant is huge with not a one tomato on it. Anyone know why?


This is a plant that requires less water and does not get very big. It has some tomatoes on it when I purchased it. The tomatoes are growing some but not sure if they are going to do anything.


The pepper plants do not seem to be growing much. The green bell pepper plant has a couple peppers growing but not sure if the plant is going to support their weight. The red pepper plant doesn't seem to be doing anything.  Can you tell I do not have a clue about gardening? We had a garden growing up and it just magically produced. lol


But the basil is doing well. I harvested some yesterday.


After reading how to harvest and how to preserve, I washed the leaves and stuffed as many as possible in a half pint jar and put it in the freezer. I am supposed to be able to just take out a few leaves at a time to use.


The rest I put under a plastic bag. It is supposed to stay fresh longer.


Experiments, experiments, experiments.

Happy snipping, stitching, and quilting!

2 comments:

  1. We have tomatoes on our plants but they are taking forever ... nothing remotely close enough to even think about picking. And after much waiting, we finally have one zucchini ... out of 6 plants, 1 zucchini. So I don't think I'll be much help. Sorry. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything in my garden is taking its good old time this year - too much rain (I live in Pennsylvania). My plants have finally started growing with the warmer nights. Try the Miracle Gro specifically for tomatoes. They sound like they are missing some nutrient, but I cannot say off the top of my head. I have 2 cherry tomato plants that are 4 feet high and no blossoms in site yet either. One thing I did different this year in my raised bed was to mix in a bag of manure - of course it will be only towards the end of the growing year to know if it's made a difference from years past.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails