background

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A busy day planned

I tried my hand at canning some tomatoes. My mom always made tomato juice. I don't think I ever remember seeing her make whole or diced tomatoes. We really don't use tomato juice. We do use diced tomatoes when we make Gnocchi, Tomato Florentine and chili, etc.

So, I searched the internet and found I don't know how many ways to do it. Some say, "Raw pack!" Others say, "No, hot pack." So many different opinions and ways to do things. I finally got out my Ball Canning Book and used it. I did use the pressure canner instead of the boiling water pack.


They look pretty good. I have more to do today. I would really like to try my hand at spaghetti sauce. If I had a garden and could grow all of my tomatoes, I would make all kinds of things. Salsa, juice, sauce.

I also have about 1/2 bushel of peaches to do something with. I would love to jar them but they are not freestone and they were seconds so I got a really good price on them. So, I'm not sure if I could get a pretty jar of fruit. We will just have to see when I get them started today. I will probably just put them in the freezer and see if I can locate some Freestone peaches later on. I absolutely love cottage cheese and peaches and eat it for lunch quite a bit during the school year.

I think this method is interesting and I think I will try it and use the peaches to make smoothies.

I finished my last block last night. Now on to the border.


Well, going to get an early start. Peaches and tomatoes are calling.

Happy snipping, stitching, and sewing.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking a lot lately about canning. Especially since we're going to have boatloads of tomatoes and green beans before too long. Is it a lot of work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been getting very many tomatoes in so I have been drying them as I get a good handful - I just slice them and dry and fill up a canning jar - I will take them with us in the camper and toss in a half cup or whatever into stews and things. My little garden is not doing well - the only thing I am getting a lot of is acorn squash which was an experiment and they will not all be ready before we leave - I have 2 bushes of them and about 10 squashes growing. Good thing Melanie likes them so she can take them as they ripen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails